Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm Back!

It has been quite some time since my last post, and a lot has changed for me. As of the middle of April, I am no longer working at Adoption Associates. I have decided to start a family counseling practice, working mainly with attachment issues and other adoption related issues. There is such a huge need for this and so few therapists in West Michigan trained in attachment adoption issues.

In addition to my private practice, I want this blog to be a useful tool for adoptive families. If there are specific topics you would like me to discuss, please leave a comment, and I will try to address the issues that are important to you.

If you would like more information about the services that I provide, please feel free to email me at kurtellis@att.net. Also, please check back regularly, as I will be adding new posts as often as possible.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Kurt, are you every going to update this blog???
With bated breath,
Mary Franks

Alysha said...

Hi, I noticed you don't have a lot of comments on this blog but please don't think people aren't reading!! This is so helpful to me and my husband as we're hoping to start the adoption process soon. Please keep writing!

Unknown said...

Kurt, Memorial Day 2008 we adopted and are still going through the process of adopting 2 older brothers. After getting them we found out 1 of them have RAD. My question is who do you keep showing love even if you do love them but, they push you away so much that you just want to do the same? We are to the point of giving up but, want to try all our options before hand. Please any advice would help. I'm also, trying to attend the AFSN meeting on March 3rd to see if that could help. Not positive if I can.

I should also, let you know our 4 year old daughter was adopted when she was a newborn here in Michigan.

Kurt Ellis said...

Michelle, That is the hardest part of parenting a child with RAD--you love them but they are unable to reciprocate. They often do things that seem intentional just to get you angry. It really is a self-preservation and survival behavior, meant to keep you from getting too close, and more importantly to keep themselves from getting too close. Intimacy causes a child with RAD more fear than you and I have ever known. Attachment therapy can have amazing results. It can help your child begin to understand that they are lovable and have value, and it can begin to eliminate the shame that is so prevalent! If you are able to make the meeting on March 3, we can talk more then. If not, please feel free to call or email me. You can get my contact information on my website---familiesforevercounseling.com.